Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Family in Paris!

This weekend my family came over and we spent the weekend in Paris. They actually came to Poitiers first, for a night, and I got to show it off in the gorgeous sunshine, and then we all went up to Paris together and spent about four days there. They'd all been there before, but Abbey didn't remember much because she had been so little, so we did a lot of the basic touristy stuff. It was really fun, though, and of course really good to see them. And as I was saying good-bye, it made me realize that I really only have a month left here, and will be seeing them again so very soon!

One of the coolest parts of this weekend, though, was how confident I felt with my French. I'm sure it helped that they didn't speak French at all (well, except Abbey's occasional, and I might add awesome, elementary French phrase) and I played translator the whole weekend. But it was the first time that I really felt like I had a complete hold on the language. Most of my French interactions here are with my host family or classmates, when they're speaking a million miles a minute and I'm struggling just to keep up. But this weekend, I didn't have to say anything much more complicated than "How do you get to the hotel?" and "She would like a plain plate of pasta" and had no need to keep up with three or more French people talking about God-knows-what. I was completely within my comfort zone when it came to the language, and it really felt wonderful. It made me think that maybe I have actually improved this semester, and maybe my language skills aren't as horrible as I was starting to worry they might be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home